Wednesday, February 3, 2010

assistance at the thrift store

I hate shopping. But I love thrift stores. While this might sound like an oxymoron (which might be a good word to sum me up in anyway) let me add that I also like treasure hunts. Which to me is really what a thrift store is. The actual likelihood of finding something amazing is pretty slim (although still much higher than JC Penneys) but when you do it's the most amazing thing you've ever found and you can be sure no one else has it. That being said I actually find a lot of really cool stuff at thrift stores so my previous point might be null and void.

Thrift stores are also great people watching locales. For sure you'll hear the loud and proud sisters yelling at each other across the store about what they've found (okay, I've done that a time or two as well). You'll also hear a mother and daughter arguing loudly about something the daughter wants but the mome doesn't want her to have. Creepy middle aged men hide out in the women's shoe section. I'm still not sure if they're waiting for everyone to leave so they can buy a pair or if they're checking out the ladies' legs. Baby's are running around screaming madly looking to be adopted since I'm pretty sure they don't have parents. Someone always shows up for some drunk shopping. Hipsters act like they're too cool to be there but end up leaving with fifteen bags of the most used clothing they can find.

And this past Sunday I met Scarf Picker Outter Man. There was this rack filled with scarves. Granted you don't really need a scarf in southern California but I've come to appreciate the fashion of them. But since you don't need a scarf in southern California I refuse to pay full price for them. So when I saw this rack with all of these beautiful brand new looking scarves I went nuts. Scarf Picker Outter Man must have noticed that because he proceeded to spend five minutes of his shopping trip (to buy what I do not know) picking out scarves for me and draping them around my neck asking all the other randoms what they thought. With his help I purchased four new "for fashion only unless it snows in the near future" scarves. And that is a new reason why I love thrift stores.

No comments:

Post a Comment